Monday, January 11, 2010

Gaming This Weekend

So I held my annual Game Day at my house. Yes you would think owning a game store I would have more than one game day a year, and usually we do, but we do this one every year as kind of a tradition. So I'll run down the gaming for you and let you know how it all worked out.



We opened with Dominion. If you haven't played Dominion yet, go to this link, buy the game, and play it. Seriously. Don't hesitate. If you were in the retail store, I would give you a copy, and tell you to go play it, and if you like it, come back and pay me. If you don't like it, bring it back. Everyone I do this with comes back and pays for it. Not one person has brought it back and said they didn't like it. Period. So go get it. Now. Matt Drake even wrote a wonderful review about it, HERE. We played it, and the Seaside Expansion for it, for hours. Awesome fun with friends. Good game.



Then... we moved to Roborally, which was just rereleased over Christmas, and wow, it's just a fun game. Never played it before, so it was new. But it was easy to pick up, and it was fun. Here is the thing with Roborally. Things are going to go wrong, and because of that, you can't plan out a perfect strategy, which can really bother the hell out of you. BUT... if you take it as a FUN game and enjoy all the crazy things that occur because you can't plan for everything, then it turns out quite fun. Parker got turned around once and screwed up his move so badly once that I almost fell on the floor laughing as he kept screwing up. It's a fun game, and can accomodated many players and was good for some great laughs.



Then we played Small World. I've played this three times before, and it DOES keep getting better. The first time I was unimpressed, but by this fourth time, I have to say I liked it a lot better. We'll see if it keeps growing on me. I won, so that makes a difference. It's the BIG game this year, and Matt Drake again reviewed it and loved it. I was lukewarm at first, but it IS getting better.




Finally we played Pictionary, and damn that was FUN. What a fun game for couples and teams and just a lot of laughs. I don't even sell Pictionary . I should fix that. It's such a great game I can recommend it to everyone. We play on this HUGE white board I have and it's fun see it show up on the big board. We are SERIOUS as pictionary in my family! :) Ben and B'andra managed to include a certain piece of the male anatomy in EVERY SINGLE PICTURE they drew. It almost put me on the ground.




Okay, the next day, having played so many games I wasn't even CLOSE to burning out, so I pulled out Tales of the Arabian Nights, a game Matt Drake reviewed and recommended and I've wanted to play for a while now. Me and my daughter got it set up and then discovered the Quest Cards were missing. So that was a BUMMER. Can't really review that. Hopefuly Z-Man Games will fix that. We also opened the new Axis & Allies Pacific, but found that one of the treys of chits was missing. I think the Japanese were missing, or doubled, and no Chinese. So that game was unplayable. Let's hope Wizards of the Coast fixes THAT! Then we opened Ghost Stories, ANOTHER game that Matt reviewed and liked, and was recommended to us by Sheridan as well, but by that time the Arizona Packers game was on so we never got to play it.









Did anyone see that game? Packers had an AMAZING comeback. AMAZING. But they just couldn't pull it off. They need a better Defense. :)

Anyway, that was the gaming weekend. This week instead of game night we are going rock climbing, I believe. I'll let you know how that turns out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment